Accelerating Innovation through Effective Supplier Collaboration
Exceptionally interesting document on the value of collaboration between an organization and its suppliers, resulting in co-creation. This surely has to be the way of the future. Nothing gets me more stressed than when I hear the word "vendor". Its is a word that should be banned from our vocabulary. It certainly puts up the barriers, which is totally counter to Open Innovation thinking.
This document finds that accelerating innovation through effective supplier collaboration requires both an overall company wide innovation strategy and an integrated supply innovation strategy. An open innovation strategy requires executive leadership and culture change. This innovation strategy needs to be communicated internally/externally. Management must commit resources and processes (e.g. innovation portal and third party providers) to support the
strategy. Further, the innovation strategy must be linked to overall firm performance and assessed by objective metrics. Definition of innovation and establishment of innovation metrics requires a cross-functional consensus and alignment from top to bottom of the organization.
The innovation metrics with weightings based on innovation needs should be linked to company and supplier performance evaluation. Both hard and soft metrics need to be developed. Risk management strategies enhance the speed and likelihood of successful commercialization of new products. Risk must be defined as a combination of uncertain events and outcomes for both buyer and supplier during any new product development stage gate process. The companies should establish alternative plans if required innovation does not pass the stage gate risk/reward evaluation.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.