Emerging Markets post Record Highs
Investor Mark Mobius said he expects emerging markets to surpass previous records, predicting a continued rally with “corrections along the way.”
“If the money supply keeps on growing we will continue to see a bull market,” Mobius, who oversees about $25 billion as Templeton Asset Management Ltd.’s Singapore-based executive chairman, said in an interview in Manila. “We are just halfway from where we were before and we will surpass previous highs.”
Emerging-market stocks rose to a 13-month high yesterday as investors sought higher-yielding assets on expectations of a global economic recovery. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index added 0.8 percent as of 11:52 a.m. in London today.
“We will see a pretty fast pickup in earnings and that’s what markets are anticipating,” said Mobius, who spoke in an investors conference in Manila. He said he prefers consumer and commodities industries in emerging markets.
Apart from Brazil, Russia, India, and China, Pakistan and Turkey are “quite interesting now and we are adding to some of our holdings on a slight basis,” Mobius said. He said he is “bullish” on oil, driven by rising crude demand in China and India. He declined to name companies.
The “secular bull market” that pushed emerging-nation equities to the highest level relative to developed world stocks in 15 years has further to run, Jonathan Garner, Morgan Stanley’s chief Asian and emerging-market strategist, said this week. See full report from Bloomberg.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.