IBM CEO study finds social media key to collaboration
IBM has just commissioned a CEO study including more than 1,700 Chief Executive Officers from 64 countries and 18 industries that is a glimpse of how they are changing the face of work from the top down.
The study found that CEOs are introducing elements of openness and transparency, and are also empowering their staff with initiatives that see a radical change from the boss/worker mentality that has gripped modern workplaces for over a century.
Interestingly, the research found that businesses that are 30 per cent more efficient and productive credit their open-door policy as a key ingredient in their success. Top chiefs are harnessing the power of social media to communicate, collaborate and inspire their employees. The more efficient companies are following a new path that sees each employee’s voice just as equal as everybody else’s. The shared consciousness of a company is tapped into to brainstorm new ideas that drive profitability and growth.
Discussions carried out via email and phone will gradually be taken over by social media conversations between CEOs and their clients, partners and employees. There are currently only 16 per cent of CEOs that use social media to connect with customers, but this number will grow to 57 per cent within the next three to five years. Within the next five years, social media will become the second most popular way for businesses to connect with their customers, only coming behind in-person conversations.
Over half of CEOs (53 per cent) plan to use technology to build and maintain partnerships with people outside, while 52 per cent are also turning their attention to partnerships within their businesses.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.