Should we all model ourselves on Steve Jobs?
Do we all want to be like Steve Jobs? Well, yes I do. Steve was a visionary, a driver, a huge intellect, a successful entrepreneur and implementor. And he built an empire that not only innovated, but delivered. When the Apple product is scheduled for release on a particular day in a particular country, it is in store. Always.
Why would I not want to be like Steve?
Booz&Co have released an interesting paper. It talks about Job's complex leadership style. His autocratic nature. And his love and hate of employees. I had a friend who worked for Apple who told me that you would never want to meet Steve in the lift. He would ask what you were doing in Apple, and the conversation would go one of two ways. If he was not happy with your response, you might get fired on the spot. If he was happy he might overload you with a whole new project on top of what you were currently doing.
So the view was: never get into a lift with Steve.
Read the Booz&Co article. An interesting perspective on Steve. But one wonders how Apple will survive without him.......
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.