Open Innovation: Public-private partnership tackles antibiotic threat
This is a great example of innovation in the pharmaceutical industry working alongside public research bodies. Not driven by profit, this collaboration has the greater good as its main goal.
GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca are teaming with public research bodies in Europe to tackle the threat of antibiotic resistance and stimulate further research.
In an effort to improve the current understanding of antibiotic resistance, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies will carry out clinical trials and design and develop new drugs to combat this threat.
The research is a part of the European Commission’s Action Plan against the rising threats from Antimicrobial Resistance.
World Pharma News reports that the World Health Organization had declared the pool of any potential antibiotics as “virtually dry”. The much-needed study, called NewDrugs4BadBugs, will be a shot in the arm for the future discovery and development of new medicines.
Antibiotic resistance is increasingly become a global concern. Research and development has stalled somewhat over the past 15 years. It is a mammoth task, scientifically, to find new agents that target bacteria and this combined with regulatory red-tape and lack of commercial enticements meant that research in this area has almost come to a standstill.
We often speak of open innovation – this is a shining example of global innovation powered by open communication, and also an excellent example of innovation in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.