Shifting Safety from Compliance to Second Nature
Safety is a major concern for construction companies and their employees, whether on site, in the office, on the road or elsewhere. Organisations typically address safety as a problem of compliance, using rules and policies to tell employees and contractors how they should behave. The Strategy Group helped the Living Safely project team of this ASX-listed construction company to redefine employee safety.
“The aim was to make safety personal and meaningful, moving away from a compliance burden towards being a human experience by designing radically different initiatives.”
– Jeffrey Tobias, Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Using Design Thinking to Redefine Safety
The Strategy Group used the human-centred innovation methodology Design Thinking to uncover what drives safety behaviours and to understand on a deeper level what engages and motivates them. Design Thinking enabled the project team to empathise with the employees’ safety experiences and to distil insights that ultimately turned the problem on its head. The Living Safely project team applied the five phases of Design Thinking to their problem: Empathise, Define, Ideate, Prototype and Test.
Understanding safety experience
Three key insights into safety “Flipped the script” on the project, delivering its success:
- There is no point in talking about the abstract concept of safety
- People relate better to ‘living safely’ as a personal experience
- Living safely is about living a healthy and more meaningful life.
By the end of the Design Thinking process, the team had designed three powerful initiatives:
- Your better life mentor – a peer-to-peer mentoring programme to help people identify life goals and define a clear path to achieve them
- Your passport to a better life – a way to track progress towards life goals and promote success
- SafeBook – a social networking platform similar to Facebook where employees share safety tips and publicly celebrate positive safety behaviours.
“It has been a huge cultural change … the team is living Design Thinking as a new methodology.”
– Living Safely Project Sponsor
If you’d like to learn more or you’re interested in running a similar project, then please contact Jemma Parsons, Strategy Group Director on +61 411 740 908 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Anna ChatburnMarketing Director, The Strategy Group Anna is driven by the belief that if organisations focus on making things better for their customers, they will retain and expand their customer-base. Anna enjoys communicating and sharing innovation expertise from The Strategy Group as it helps to transform the Australian business landscape. An academic background in social sciences and experience working in the non-profit and education sectors underpin Anna’s interest in social and environmental innovation. Anna has a passion for social enterprise, new technologies, sustainability, health and wellbeing. She lives in Bondi beach and loves walking the coastal path. Anna has a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Sociology from Loughborough University, UK.
- What corporate innovators think Australian leadership needs - 25/10/2017
- Redefining Safety Initiatives for Lendlease - 12/08/2017
- 5 Corporate Innovation Quick Wins - 05/07/2017