The Changing Role of the Legal Counsel in an Open Innovation and Collaborative Corporate Environment
The traditional role of the legal counsel in the Enterprise has been that of corporate guardian and IP protector. This has particularly been the case when R&D has been performed in-house, wholly within the closed walls of a corporation in an atmosphere of isolation, guarded secrecy and defensiveness. However Open Innovation, the revolutionary paradigm for the future of corporate innovation, requires an environment of openness and collaboration not only within a given organization, but also within the entire ecosystem in which the organization operates. Collaboration and the sharing of information, which result in innovation acceleration, are actively encouraged. Social networking and connectedness among the employees in an organization are rewarded between them and their counterparts in partner organizations and must be promoted.
How does this change in values impact on the role of the legal counsel, and how does it impact on the way information is managed, stored, accessed and shared in the enterprise? The hypothesis is that the legal counsel in an Open Innovation environment must become much more of an information facilitator rather than an information protector, and that governance frameworks to support Open Innovation must be established, underpinned by technology that delivers security and scale across the globalizing organization.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.