8 Tips for Innovation you can Implement – Right Now!
I recently presented in front of over a hundred people at an Innovation event we ran. I talked about what innovation means, the collision of ideas, why the best ideas come from employees, customers and partners. I talked about trends I am seeing around culture and process from our clients. I also talked about our relationship with Brightidea, the world's leading provider of ideation platforms and tools.
I concluded with a bunch of things that each and everyone one of us can act on - right now. Immediately.
I thought I would share these with you:
1. Think about how you can ensure that you are listening to ideas from everywhere in the organisation. Not just from usual suspects or from the executive team.
2. Activity bring in ideas from customers and partners. And that means thinking through how you can get those ideas from the coal face into your organisation. Unbiased. Unfiltered.
3. Establish a process to manage ideas from the ideation phrase through to execution. Even if you write the ideas down on sheets of paper. But better still, an ideation platform like the one from Brightidea provides a fun, secure and manageable way of recording and processing ideas - end to end.
4. Pick three things you can do to foster a culture of innovation and creativity. Just three. If you pick more you probably won't execute them. Three will do.
5. Choose tools to help. See point 3 above.
6. Remove the words "Yes, but" from your vocabulary. This is really important. Really. "Yes but" are two words that kill innovation in its track. Remove these words forever. Replace them with "Yes and".
7. Encourage failure - it's part of innovation. Build an element of failure into your business plan. Talk about how important failure is to the company. Convince yourself first. Then spread the word.
8. Buy a copy of Tom and David Kelly's book "Creative Confidence" and the "Ten Types of Innovation" - spread them about the organisation.
If you execute on even half of these points, you will move the needle in your organisation. I promise. Or your money back!
- Webinar: Enabling innovation for growth - October 13, 2021
- WHY (AND HOW) to Innovate in a crisis - September 28, 2021
- How to Centralize Customer Experience During COVID-19 - September 2, 2021
- 6 Steps to Optimize Your Customer Experience (CX) - June 11, 2021
- The Hybrid Workplace Model: How the Employee Experience is Being Overlooked - June 11, 2021
- What Organisations Should Focus on When Re-inventing or Transforming their Business Models - May 31, 2021
- Employee Experience and Embracing the Future of work - May 14, 2021
- Webinar: An Effective Framework for Digital Transformation - March 18, 2021
- Digital Strategy Toolkit - February 24, 2021
- Developing a Go-to-Market Customer Strategy for Shirohato’s Australian Expansion - February 4, 2021
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.
Need help to get your business to the next level?
More related articles on innovation
Learn three steps for determining what customers need, and how you can fulfill them from the experts at The Strategy Group.