Customer Journey Mapping Canvas
Customer Journey Mapping is about building empathy and is a continuously activity to get rich and qualitative information about why your customers do what they do, how they experience interacting with organisations through the different touchpoints and how you can help them better reach their goals.
This is a great tool developed by Design Thinkers Academy and initiated by DesignThinkers Group, one of the leading ‘design driven’ innovation agencies helping organisations around the world making the transition from being strictly product orientated and sales driven, towards being service orientated and human centered.
Check out this article by Arne van Oosterom ’10 Steps to Customer Journey Mapping’.
When used with or by customers, Customer Journey Mapping is a tool to see the world and your company through the eyes of your customers. When the tool is used with an internal team it is a way to make explicit what you know and what you don’t know.
Customer Journey Mapping can be used in many ways at many stages. So knowing what you are trying to do is important. Are you exploring an existing journey? Are you designing a new journey or a detailed scenario or use case? Are you building an organisation to support a journey, a service blue-print? What is the question?
The tool can be easily changed and different horizontal layers can be added. E.g. you can measure how HR and Sales instruments like incentives and KPI’s are supporting or disrupting the customer experience in the different stages of the journey.
They have also developed a version of the Customer Journey Map focused on the research phase. This canvas helps you to view the journey from the customer’s perspective and explore the current customer journey in order to start a deeper exploration of the Persona profile and service qualities, for instance ‘Moments of Truth’ or ‘Pain Points’.
- Five Steps to use Innovation to find Market Growth Opportunities - September 23, 2019
- How to recognise Innovation Theatre - September 2, 2019
- 5 Ways to Create a Customer Centric Strategy - August 22, 2019
- The Future of Leadership – Empathetic Leaders - August 11, 2019
- Creating Time for Innovation - August 5, 2019
- 10 Lessons to Learn From Startup Failures - August 5, 2019
- The Top 5 Digital Transformation Insights from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Report - June 20, 2019
- Bridal Wear and Business Model Transformation: What do They Have in Common? - June 19, 2019
- How Amazon is Reinventing Retail – Literally from The Ground Up! - May 28, 2019
- Bezos’ letter to shareholders showcases great communication and strategy - April 29, 2019
Managing Director, The Strategy Group
Dr Tobias is an accomplished innovation consultant and entrepreneurship strategist, drawing expertise from the academic, entrepreneurial and corporate worlds. Jeffrey’s commercial and business experience is particularly focussed on lean startup, design thinking and leadership. Prior to The Strategy Group, Jeffrey was Cisco’s Global Lead for Innovation in the Internet Business Solutions Group helping Fortune Global 500 companies improve customer experience and grow revenue by transforming how they do business.
Jeffrey is a professor of innovation and entrepreneurship teaching MBA students at the Australian Graduate School of Business at the University of New South Wales. An active angel investor, Jeffrey is on the board of various well known startups. Jeffrey’s corporate background includes leading global innovation strategy at Cisco, working with large corporates such as Adobe, Westpac, Telstra, Woolworths, and Perpetual.